Social media 101, if you want to get your product seen by the digital masses then you have got to post content for the masses to see. You can’t go viral if you don’t post. Pretty obvious, right? Makes perfect sense. You will find article after article saying the same thing and lots of people will read the post, be inspired, and get busy creating and posting blogs and photos about their business. Inevitably after a month or so of posting they begin to get discouraged because their account is still a sad little ghost town and now they feel like social media marketing does not work. This brings us to.. Social media 102, you can’t go viral if no one engages with your post. As a matter of fact the ONLY way to go viral is if a large number of people like, share, and comment on your content. You absolutely have to have engagement. The creators of Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and every other social media platform designed their apps with engagement in mind and those who learn how to authentically engage are rewarded with followers, comments, and leads for their business.
Now after reading that and agreeing that the former all makes perfectly good sense I’m sure you are asking yourself, “Well how do I get people to engage with my content?”. After planning, writing, and posting to no avail you will be thrilled at how simple and again obvious the answer is…
// USE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR WHAT IT’S MEANT FOR.. BEING SOCIAL. //
Posting on social media and getting no engagement is like throwing a party and no one showing up. But before you feel too sorry for yourself you should ask yourself this question, “Did I invite people to my party?” Well did you? First things first, you have to promote your social media accounts through both organic and paid marketing. I will write more on this in a later post, but for now let’s assume that you already have an audience. Here are 5 ways to engage your followers and be more social on social media:
1) Talk about topics other than your brand. Let your website be your soapbox and your social pages be where you are.. social. Social media is your opportunity to show your brand personality! Talk about trending topics within your niche and ask questions for your audience to answer. Post niche related quotes and add relevant hashtags to your content. Another great idea is to create polls and surveys for your followers. Not only will this encourage engagement and comments but you will also learn something.. you have a ready and willing focus group literally at your fingertips.
2) Reply to comments. It is important for your audience to engage with your brand and it is equally important for your brand to engage with it's audience. If you ask your followers a question take the time to reply to their answers, both compliments as well as complaints. Use your account to display your amazing customer service!
4) Make your page visually appealing. It is extremely important that your feed be aesthetically pleasing and cohesive. The digital space is a highly visual space. Use images and videos. Studies show that people engage with photos and videos up to 80% more than text alone.
4) Don’t be one-sided. share other people's content. Sharing, liking, and commenting on your followers accounts is a great way to connect with your audience and really create a genuine connection. It’s also good to engage with social media accounts that are not currently following you, doing so engages the attention of not only the account that you comment on but it will be seen by all of their followers as well.
5) Hire someone to engage for you. Social media marketing is a full time job. It can be overwhelming to have to manage all your brands social accounts while still managing the day to day operations of your business. If you find that engaging with your audience is just too much and you can not give 100% don’t attempt to do it yourself and do a half ass job. Hire Branding Babe to manage your social media for you. :)
Schedule a consultation here. Contact us here.